I remember being on the fence (so to speak) about God’s truth in Jesus Christ. I decided to learn more by reading God’s word in the Bible. I started at the beginning. In Genesis and Exodus, there are so many exciting stories and examples of faith to relate to and be inspired by. Then I hit Leviticus, the book of laws. That’s when things starting falling apart. I didn’t get it. Twenty years later with the hindsight of faith, I love the Old Testament. I still stumble over the names, places and who was king when, but I have found a treasure trove of wisdom in those seemingly harder and duller passages. 2 Kings 22 is one such nugget. In this chapter, I found ten examples of King Josiah to follow in my own life. There is so much we can learn from the examples of those who came before us. Even better, when it is an example that honors God with obedience.
Please feel free to add or expound on the examples I have listed.
1) Vs. 1-2 Choose God’s ways.
2) Vs. 2 Stick to the straight and narrow, not turning to the left or to the right.
3) Vs. 5 Care about the church as a place to honor God.
4) Vs. 7 We can’t do it all and we aren’t called to do it all.
5) Vs. 8,10 Surround ourselves with godly people to keep us accountable to God.
6) Vs. 11 Keep our hearts softened towards God.
7) Vs. 13 Recognize evil in the world, including our own.
8) Vs. 13 Take ownership for our sphere of influence (those we are in authority over.)
9) Vs. 19 Humble ourselves before God.
10) Vs. 19 Grieve over sin.
2 Kings 22:1-2
Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty-one years. His mother’s name was Jedidah daughter of Adaiah; she was from Bozkath. He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD and walked in all the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left.